McDonald’s, as well as the franchise owner, must pay $800,000 to the family of a girl who suffered a second-degree burn from a hot nugget
In 2019, the mother of a four-year-old girl ordered a Happy Meal at a Tamarac fast food restaurant, handed over a pack of chicken nuggets to a child who was in the back seat of a car. One nugget fell out of the box and got stuck between the car seat and the girl’s leg for about two minutes. As a result, she received a second-degree burn and scars on her thigh.
“Jurors awarded the family a total of $800,000 for pain and suffering, mutilation, mental anguish, inconvenience and loss of the ability to enjoy life,” the channel reported.
The amount includes $400,000 for past injuries and $400,000 for damages that jurors believe will be suffered in the future.
It is noted that the family of the injured girl demanded 15 million dollars. At the same time, the mother of the victim said that she was satisfied with the decision of the jury, which made a “fair decision”, according to NBC.
In May, a jury ruled that McDonald’s and franchise owner Upchurch Foods were responsible for failing to properly warn about the dangers of hot nuggets sold at Tamarac. It is specified that the temperature of the dish reached 94 degrees.